If you own a Mercedes-Benz, you will be advised to only use Mercedes-Benz replacement parts and oils. However, circumstances may not make it possible or necessary for you to get Mercedes-Benz oil from the manufacturer. When this happens, you will still need to service your engine, and you need to get the right oil during this. That is where after-market engine oils come in. After-market oil is engine oil that does not come from the manufacturer. In this case, it is oil made by companies other than Mercedes-Benz.
Car owners go for after-market oil for various reasons that include:
- The oils are less expensive compared to original engine oils.
- The quality of the after-market oil is the same as or better than original engine oils.
- There is a larger variety of oils to choose from.
- The oils are more available, especially if original Mercedes-Benz oils are hard to find in certain areas.
Even with after-market engine oils, there are bound to be some problems. Some of them include:
- The quality of engine oil may vary, and you may end up getting an inferior brand compared to the manufacturer’s oil.
- There is a wide selection of engine oils to choose from, and you might not know the oil recommended by the manufacturer.
Mercedes-Benz has approved some after-market oil brands for those who are not capable of getting their oil from a Mercedes-Benz dealer. These after-market engine oils have been tested and proved to function similar to the original oils. Here are some of the recommended after-market oils for Mercedes-Benz cars.
Mobil engine oils
Mobil engine oils have been approved by Mercedes-Benz for their cars. The oils are suitable for all Mercedes-Benz C-class and E-class and can be used for petrol and diesel engines. Most of the Mercedes-Benz AMG cars are usually filled with Mobil 1 engine oil. Here are the oils used in Mercedes-Benz cars.
Mobil 1 0W-40 motor oil
The Mobil 1 0W-40 is synthetic oil made for use in the latest gasoline and diesel engines. It has an excellent performance and even has exceptional cleaning power and wear protection. The engine oil keeps the engine running in all driving conditions.
Features and benefits
The oil is made using high-performance synthetics and is fortified with an exact balanced component system.
- The oil is high-quality and meets the approval of Mercedes-Benz and other industries making it an accepted choice for their cars.
- It has excellent performance.
- It features low-temperature capabilities for fast engine protection at start-up.
- There are enhanced frictional properties that help in fuel economy.
- Even when the engine is subjected to extreme driving conditions, the oil protects against engine wear and deposits.
- It has enhanced cleaning powers that are beneficial when dealing with dirty engines.
Mobil 1 0W-40 is recommended for different modern engine types. It can be used in latest engine technologies that include direct injection, diesel, turbocharged and hybrid engines. It can also be used in high-performance engines.
The oil is suitable for Mercedes-Benz engines with 229.3 or 229.5 specifications.
Mobil 1 5W-50 motor oil
When it comes to race cars, your engine needs the best oil for top performance. Mobil 1 5W-50 synthetic oil is a proven rally formula that provides heavy duty performance and protection for an exceptional driving experience. The technology used in making the oil is suitable for motor sport applications and extreme driving conditions.
Features and Benefits
The oil has a wide viscosity grade useful in delivering an outstanding performance in different driving conditions.
- It prevents the build-up of deposits and sludge to enable the engine to stay clean for longer periods.
- The antioxidants help improve the engine life.
- The oils provide for engine wear protection due to the use of high-performance base stocks and an exact balanced component system.
- The wide viscosity grade provides high and low-temperature protection in a flexible combination.
- It protects and performs even at low temperatures.
The technology used in making the oil makes it suitable for:
- Gasoline and diesel engines. The diesel engines should not have a diesel particulate filter.
- High-performance engines like those used in race tracks.
- Engines used in most operating conditions ranging from mild to extreme.
The Mobil 5W-50 motor oil is suitable for Mercedes-Benz cars with 229.1 or 229.3 engine specifications.
For older Mercedes-Benz car models, you can go for the Mobil 1 New Life 0W-40 that is suitable for new cars or older vehicles with engines in good condition. The oil is complete and ensures the engine performs at optimum levels at all times. It also keeps the engine cleaner for longer by preventing the build-up of deposits.
When looking for after-market engine oil for your car, you should first check the owner’s manual and consult the dealership to know the approved brands. Doing this will ensure that you do not use an engine oil that will corrode your engine.